DEPUTY COMMISSIONER for TRANSPORTATION PLANNING & MANAGEMENT at NYC DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
New York, NY 10041
About the Job
City of New York DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION Job Posting Notice
Business Title: Deputy Commissioner for Transportation Planning & Management
Civil Service Title: Deputy Commissioner (DOT)
Title Code No: 10041
Work Location: 55 Water St NY, NY 10041
Division/Work Unit: Transportation Planning & Management
Number of Positions: 1
Job ID: 285293
The Deputy Commissioner for Transportation Planning & Management is part of the executive leadership team at NYCDOT and is responsible for the safe, efficient and environmentally responsible movement of people and goods and for implementing key Agency initiatives, including the Vision Zero goal of seeking to eliminate traffic deaths.
The Division’s core functions include operational responsibilities for street infrastructure that regulates traffic flow, parking and commercial deliveries and ensure the safety of motor vehicle occupants, pedestrians, and bike riders, and for developing and implementing a wide range of projects that further safety, efficiency and sustainability goals. The Division operates and maintains 1 million signs and 200 million linear feet of pavement markings.
The Deputy Commissioner will lead the Division of Transportation Planning & Management, including a staff of 510 employees and an annual budget of $118 million and will provide executive-level oversight of all agency transportation and planning projects, activities, and related outreach. The Deputy Commissioner will direct the agency’s implementation of the Vision Zero initiative which seeks to eliminate traffic fatalities and the development and implementation of safety engineering improvements at intersections and corridors including new street design and configurations. The Deputy Commissioner will oversee the development of projects and programs to enhance the City’s bus, bike, pedestrian, freight and vehicular networks and development and implementation of bus rapid transit projects and other transit development efforts. The Deputy Commissioner will oversee the installation of street markings and signs and represent the agency to other local and regional transportation agencies, elected officials and other stakeholders.
DOT is an equal opportunity employer, committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse workforce in an open and inclusive environment.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and 4 years of satisfactory experience of a nature to qualify for the duties and responsibilities of the position, at least 18 months of which must have been in an administrative, managerial, consultative or executive capacity or supervising personnel performing activities related to the duties of the position; or
- A combination of education and/or experience equivalent to "1" above. However, all candidates must have the 18 months of administrative, managerial, executive, consultative or supervisory experience described in "1" above.
-Fifteen + years of experience in urban transportation planning
- Expert level experience in the development, implementation, and evaluation of street safety improvement projects
- Experience overseeing operations and technical staff
- Superior communication skills, including the ability to prepare, interpret, and present complex reports and data
- Excellent and proven leadership and judgment
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, and develop a diverse team
- Ability to manage a broad portfolio of initiatives and projects
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
All resumes are to be submitted electronically.
Current City Employees: Please log into Employee Self Service (ESS) at https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet, follow the Careers link and search for Job ID number 285293.
All other applicants: Please go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID Number 285293.
If you do not have access to a personal computer: Please visit your local public library. Most public libraries have computers available for use. No phone calls, faxes or personal inquiries permitted. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. For more information about DOT, visit us at: www.nyc.gov/dot.
Posting Date: 03/22/2017 Post Until: Filled
The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer