To perform a variety of duties related to the logistic and production-related aspects of a performance to maintain the artistic vision of the touring performances and rental events. Reports to Production Manager or designated supervisor.
Additional Basic Function – if applicable:
Examples of Duties:
Duties/essential functions may include, but not be limited to, the following:
Each employee performs tasks in each major area listed below.
- Assembles platforming and choral risers as needed for performance and events - Sets up podium, chairs, music stands, tables, and other equipment required for events - Assembles and strikes tour show platforms, staging, scenic elements during performance - Operates scenic elements during performance - Operates a variety of related equipment and assists with the maintenance of staging equipment
Performs stage rigging:
- Operates counterweight rigging system - Attaches and removes loads from stage battens - Adds and removes counterweight bricks from counterweight arbors - Prepares points for touring rigging use - Installs points on gridiron for touring rigging use - Attaches loads to touring rigging points and removes loads and points at conclusion of touring performance - Sets stage draperies for performances - Assists with maintenance of theatrical rigging equipment and systems
- Implements theatrical lighting plots - Hangs fixed and automated theatrical lighting fixtures on stage battens, balcony rail, catwalks, etc. - Connects theatrical lighting fixtures to approved power sources - Connects data cables to automated theatrical lighting fixtures - Programs patches, submasters, and cues using theatrical lighting control console - Sets up touring theatrical lighting control equipment - Operates followspot instruments - Assists with maintenance of theatrical lighting equipment and systems
- Implements audio input schedules and monitors schematics - Selects and sets up microphones appropriate for music, theatrical, and spoken programs - Connects microphone cabling to subsnakes, input boxes, and digital snake system - Operates digital audio mixing console during rehearsal and performances - Interfaces touring audio equipment with facility's systems - Unpacks, sets up, and repacks touring musical instruments for performance - Assists with maintenance of facility audio equipment and systems
- Connects facility and touring video sources to facility's projection system - Operates projection equipment for presentations and performances - Edits and modifies digital presentations as necessary to be compatible with the facility's equipment.
Unloads and loads staging, scenery, lighting, properties, wardrobes, and audio equipment from trucks, trailers, and other vehicles used by touring and rental events.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Additional Examples of Duties – if applicable:
High school diploma or equivalent.
Use of hand and power tools * Utilizing basic word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, email, and web-browsing software
Lift up to 40 pounds * Read (e.g., warning labels), write (e.g., brief messages), and accurately follow oral and/or written instructions * Follow safety practices and procedures Perform basic mathematics (e.g., add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals, and to calculate percentages) * Work varied shifts and hours to include nights, weekends and holidays Identify threatening or unusual conditions and take appropriate action Work as part of a team and to work independently * Work under a deadline*
Preferred Qualifications – if applicable:
Backstage or other production experience.
Asterisk (*) indicates knowledge, skills, abilities which require assessments
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements:
Exposed to dust, heights, variable temperatures and weather conditions; requires moderate physical effort to include frequent lifting and moving of up to 40 pounds (e.g., lighting instruments, loudspeakers and scenic pieces) and cooperative lifting loads of up to 100 pounds (such as platforming, large scenic pieces, and large loudspeakers); frequent stooping and bending, climbing ladders, and extended periods of standing and walking; may work varied shifts and hours to include nights, weekends and holidays.
The intent of this description is to illustrate the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and should not be interpreted to describe all the specific duties and responsibilities that may be required in any particular position. Directly related experience/education beyond the minimum stated may be substituted where appropriate at the discretion of the Appointing Authority. Kent State University reserves the right to revise or change job duties, job hours, and responsibilities.
Internal Number: 990457
About Kent State University
Kent State University's eight-campus system, among the largest regional systems in the country, serves both the development of a true living/learning approach at the Kent Campus and the regional needs on seven other campuses throughout Northeast Ohio.The Kent Campus provides the resources and facilities of a large, diverse Ohio university, while the Regional Campuses – Kent State University at Ashtabula, Kent State University at East Liverpool, Kent State University at Geauga, Kent State University at Salem, Kent State University at Stark, Kent State University at Trumbull and Kent State University at Tuscarawas - offer the friendly, casual atmosphere of small liberal arts colleges. Today, Kent State has become an engine for economic, cultural and workforce development locally and internationally as one of the premiere Ohio universities. Kent State is ranked among the nation's 77 public research universities demonstrating high-research activity by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The Liquid Crystal Institute, for example, conducts research that translates into technologies used globally in laptops, calculators and flat screen televisions.