Manager, Talent, Learning and Development – Operations
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Type: Full Time
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Internal Number: 2022-1363
The Manager creates and delivers learning and development solutions and experiences that foster career growth at GATX and develops talent that meets evolving business needs. This individual will also manage the Talent Review process for Operations, ensuring year-round activities take place to build diverse internal pipelines for leadership and critical positions.
Working in alignment with and support of the company’s Learning and Development (L&D) strategy, this individual develops and deploys a L&D strategy to maximize Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost (SQDC) performance within the Operations function at GATX North America Rail. The role will collaborate with the Operations L&D Governance Committee and other key stakeholders to develop and deploy the GATX Operations approach to include role-specific L&D paths, training content development, delivery methodology, training effectiveness evaluation, and technology evaluation / implementation. In addition, the role will be responsible for ensuring L&D efforts are standardized and scalable across functions and facilities within Operations. Finally, the role will be responsible for training administration and ensuring compliance with required training.
1. Role-Specific Learning: Develop, deploy and maintain role-specific L&D plans (impact maps and learning paths) for facility and corporate Operations roles for new and existing employees.
2. Cross-Operation Learning: Assess and manage learning needs, content and delivery methods to drive performance. Deploy improvements across Operations that facilitate multi-functional, standardized and scalable training.
Develop GATX model for applying various delivery methods. Evaluate and deploy effective delivery method technologies. Increase utilization of hands-on, on-the-job and just-in-time training delivery options.
Evaluate, manage and maintain content development resources (internal SMEs) and technology.
Support network-wide standardization efforts as necessary to ensure training effectiveness and administration throughout the maintenance network.
3. Measurement and Administration: Define, develop, and manage operations training requirements; maintain a training effectiveness evaluation process; maintain Operations training administration system(s). Evaluate and develop the structure and effectiveness of GATX Operations training resources and spaces in which training is performed.
4. Talent Management: Manages data and reporting for Talent Management. Also, leads Talent Review process for Operations, ensuring year-round activities take place that support assessing, developing and retaining top talent. Effectively identifies and addresses talent gaps in the organization. Works closely with the Head of DEI to ensure talent management efforts are inclusive and support building diverse leadership pipelines. May participate and facilitate talent meetings and calibration sessions.
5. Performance Management, Assessments and Coaching: Leads the performance management program for Operations, including reporting and analysis. Delivers assessments and coaching that align with talent strategies. Provide valuable guidance on appropriate solutions and approaches.
Undergraduate degree required; preferably with a major in human resources, education and training, instructional design, organization development or related field. MBA preferred.
At least six years of experience in L&D (or related) field. Equivalent and relevant experience will be taken into consideration as well. Previous leadership role within the L&D (or related) field is preferred.
Experience in a manufacturing or plant environment preferred.
Demonstrated success in the development or management of a performance-based L&D (or related) function within a manufacturing or industrial environment preferred.
Strong technical and analytical aptitude; must be savvy in using and suggesting various software applications to support evolving data needs of Talent Management. Skilled in analyzing data to gain insight and to help shape Talent strategy and focus areas.
Certification(s) in training, facilitation and/or assessments, such as DiSC preferred.
Key Competencies (non-technical behavioral skills, i.e. presentation, negotiation, customer service skills):
Working knowledge of and proven skills in modern training & development, including principals of adult learning, training, organizational methodology and assessment techniques
Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills
Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, and web-based training design / development platforms
Must have the ability to quickly learn systems, processes & procedures
Ability to work independently and display creativity
Ability to write and prepare documents using innovative techniques or style, and to research and write policies and programs
Ability to efficiently handle competing priorities and tasks, remain organized and meet deadlines
Ability to establish and maintain confidential and working relationships with supervisor, co-workers, management and facility employees
Ability to manage project, establish goals, set priorities and meet deadlines
Ability to develop and maintain productive relationships with functional and business leaders as well as colleagues and stakeholders
Other (i.e., physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above):
Moderate travel as necessary to visit maintenance facilities (~ 20%)
Must be physically able to climb on equipment within a maintenance facility, stand on feet for extended periods in a plant environment.
Consistent with our policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.