Location: Westchester Campus,
Looking for a responsible custodian who can perform custodial work required for the routine cleaning and upkeep of buildings. Required to respond to cleaning requests from various campus personnel and Facility Management supervisors. Assist in the relocation and placement of furniture. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirement of the job change.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform cleaning, disinfection, and maintenance of buildings scheduled by the Facilities Management supervisory team. This includes, but is not limited to, dusting blinds, bulletin boards, drapes, doors, facility areas, fire extinguishers, fire extinguisher boxes, furniture, light fixtures, pictures, restroom fixtures, stair rails, vents, window ledges and sills; damp wipe and polish furniture; mopping, wet mopping, waxing and buffing floors including stairways, entrances, steps, and elevator cabs; polishing glass doors, glass partitions, kick plate door hardware, elevator doors, and drinking fountains; cleaning chalkboards and dry erase boards; washing windows; cleaning and sanitizing restroom fixtures, toilets, hardware, tile, mirrors, partitions, floors, etc.; replace restroom supplies and ensuring toilets are clear of debris; wash countertops; and vacuuming carpeted areas, cushioned furniture, and elevator door tracks.
- Empty and wipe ashtrays, waste baskets, and trash receptacles and replace plastic liners; clean trash chutes.
- Use the provided cleaning supplies and equipment to keep the interior of the office building looking clean, disinfected, and professional. Operate and clean various equipment, including power-cleaning equipment, such as buffers, scrubbers, and extractors.
- Act on customer special requests for removal of debris, clean-up of spills, and similar customer needs quickly and with a professional manner. Perform specialized custodial work upon the work of the staff members and supervisor.
- Replenish soap and paper supplies to ensure all pantries and restrooms are fully stocked with the necessary sanitization items.
- Stock and clean supply rooms and service carts. All areas where custodial items are kept are expected to be organized and tidy. Assist in the delivery of campus custodial supplies.
- Assist in on-the-job training of new staff on routine procedures.
- Performs cleaning functions specific to the assigned facilities and/or based on seasonal/project requirements.
- Conserve energy: night shift personnel should turn on only those lights in the immediate work area; turn off lights when leaving offices, classrooms, laboratories, etc., unless otherwise directed; close all windows, unless otherwise directed; shut off all faucets and report leaky and/or malfunctioning equipment to supervisor.
- Report needs and concerns to appropriate staff, which may include submitting or recommending work orders and checking supply levels.
- Adhere to the University's safety policies as well as Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to create a safe work environment for all LMU campus community.
- Set up furniture or return furniture to its standard configuration after completion of work. Assist in the relocation of furniture.
- Schedule may be reviewed at any time to accommodate University goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Loyola Marymount University Expectations
Exhibit behavior that supports the mission, vision, and values of the university. Promote and support an environment of diversity and inclusion. Communicate and employ interpersonal actions that model high standards of professional, responsible, accountable, and ethical conduct. Demonstrate a commitment to outstanding customer service.
- Typically, a high school diploma or equivalent. Incumbent will be expected to continue upgrading knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation/policy changes.
- Minimum two years' experience cleaning and general housekeeping or related work. Commercial experience in a large facility such as a hotel or school/classroom setting is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the areas of vacuum cleaners (canister/upright, dry/wet); shampoo machine; hose; mop (dry/wet); scrub or dirt brush (manual); cleaning equipment, cleaning preparation, and cleaning products (chemical, aerosol, liquid).
- Ability to effectively communicate and interpret written instructions such as supply warning labels, policies & procedures, and other instructions. Cooperate and communicate with supervisor and fellow employees.
- Some positions may require possession of a California driver's license.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Constantly required to sit, feel, use finger movement, speak clearly, hear conversation, see near and far. Frequently required to stand and walk. Occasionally required to lift, carry and push up to 50 lbs., stoop, kneel, reach high and low, use depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment is normal.
MENTAL DEMANDS: Mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Frequent calculating, interrupted work, variety of interrelated tasks, sustained concentration, use of reasoning, judgment, resourcefulness, analytical ability, and ingenuity.
- Shift Schedule: Sunday - Thursday, 9pm to 5:30am
$16.04 - $21.25 Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Loyola Marymount University, a Carnegie classified R2 institution in the mainstream of American Catholic higher education, seeks outstanding applicants who value its mission and share its commitment to inclusive excellence, the education of the whole person, and the building of a just society. LMU is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment as defined by federal, state and local law. We invite all persons in the full diversity of their being, life experience, and beliefs to apply. (Visit www.lmu.edu for more information.)